Natalie is the definition of busy these days. And I'm pretty positive she started getting bored of all of her toys about 3 months ago. I try to entertain her, but I'm not always great at finding things to do
(and sometimes I just want to sit and let her play). So I attempted to make a busy board/activity board/discovery board/whatever you want to call it.
Everything we didn't already have came from the Dollar Tree or Walmart.
(Not all of this stuff is necessarily ''baby friendly'' but I definitely still plan to watch her with it.)
I'll go through and explain what is what/where it came from:
1. This was a ''locker mirror'' that I found at Walmart in the dollar section. The pom poms are also from Walmart that I bought in a big pack with pipe cleaners and googley eyes. I just super glued them on. Natalie loves loves loves mirrors.
2. Just a plastic hook from the Dollar Tree. I figured I'd put a few hooks on here so we can move things around the board.
3. Soft blocks that I made and had sitting around with velco attached so she can take them off and put them back on.
4. Pill box from the Dollar Tree. I like that she can pop the lids open and close them again.
5. Lock and chain from Walmart. She already likes pulling the chain off and banging it against the board. I wanted some noisy things on here, and it will be good practice for her to put the chain back on the lock one of these days.
6. Paper clip cup from the Dollar Tree and shoelace from Walmart. It will be a good lacing toy eventually, but right now she just chews on the shoelace. She'll be able to put little things in that cup too if she ever feels the need.
7. Sandals from Walmart. They were on clearance for $1.00 and they have velcro straps. Just kind of a fun/random thing to put on there and she can pull the strap off and stick it back on. Good practice for next summer maybe?
8. Carabiner clips and measuring spoons from the Dollar Tree. She likes to play with the spoons and bang them against the board. She is also dead set on trying to get the clip off of the hook.
9. A small canvas that I had already wrapped in fabric with felt flowers I made. It is on a hinge and it lifts up to show a square felt face with googley eyes, pom pom nose and pipe cleaner mouth.
10. Picture frame from Walmart. Also on a hinge, to lift up and show some green glittery paper that has a really rough texture. She likes to scratch it. And she loves to stare at babies. I put that picture in there because we already had it laminated so it doesn't matter if she gets it all slobbery. Which she will :)
11. More carabiners from the Dollar Tree and two small soft blocks with bells in them that I made.
12. Big calculator from the Dollar Tree. She loves remotes and loves to push buttons so I thought this would be fun. Good for pointing out numbers to her!
13. These are some small board books that Kristin gave us that I put a small square of velcro on, so she can pull them off and put them back on.
14. Another hook to move toys around.
15. Small wheel from Walmart. She loves to spin things, and thinks it's hilarious when she can really get it going (there is also a small white rubber hook next to the wheel just to hook any random thing on).
16. Felt board. This is a cork board that I got at the Dollar Tree a long time ago. I just covered it in white felt. I thought about making felt animals or something, but decided just to make some shapes so she can try to match them. They are attached with ribbon so they don't get lost. The small foam blocks attached to the left side are also from the Dollar Tree. I've got a big bag of them, but just grabbed a few. So far she just pokes at them, but that's about all she can do :)
17. Heart light from the Dollar Tree. I actually do not have batteries in here yet, but it's still fun for her to push. It makes kind of a springy noise and she seems to think that's good enough. I will put batteries in as soon as we get some though.
18. Water bottle with pom poms. Pom poms and the shoe lace are from Walmart.
I think that's everything?
She is pretty entertained by it so far and I'm hoping it lasts, and that she doesn't get too sick of it too quickly. It was really fun for me to put together though, so at least if she does get sick of it I got some enjoyment out of it too :)
The face underneath the canvas.
Glitter paper she likes to scratch.
The carabiners are a definite favorite.
She found the face.