Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Dresser Turned TV Stand

So so so happy this project finally got done!  I have been planning this FOREVER so it is a relief to be finished.

I've been wanting a new TV stand since we moved into our house.  Or before that, really, but I was definitely ready for one when we got in here and settled.

As soon as Natalie was born we realized that the one we had was not going to work out for much longer.  Three tiers of glass shelves and sharp corners?  Uh, no thanks.  

So I knew I wanted to find a dresser and make it into a TV stand so we could use the drawers for storage.  

Garage sales and Goodwill weren't very successful for us in our dresser search, so my mom was going to get my old college dresser to me that she had stuck away somewhere.  We weren't sure how to get it all the way to our house from her house in Nebraska, so we kept looking here.  I went to Goodwill with Natalie one day just to look again and FINALLY found a dresser.  

 
This is definitely not the type I was looking for... I was hoping for more detailing, or at least something a little more interesting looking.  

But I just wanted to get this project going... And it wasn't quite as tall as the dresser my mom had for us (which was a good thing), and it was long (another good thing).  So... I bought it.

Michael and his dad went back the next day to pick it up for me and we got to work on it a few days later.

We were just going to sand it a bit, but his dad insisted that we strip it first.  So we did, and it was kind of awesome :)  

Look at how the paint bubbles up and pulls away from the wood!



So fun.  Stripping it was pretty easy and we got it pretty clear of paint.

(The holes from the previous handles also got filled in since I bought knobs instead of handles to go on there next.)

All stripped.  

Michael was still planning to sand it though, and he did a really good job.  Probably too good for the crappy paint job I did :)

Here is halfway through sanding the top.


And painted!  The top is still slightly wet and splotchy in this picture ... and really... I didn't do a great job, unfortunately.  I'm just too impatient for this stuff!  But the top definitely looks better than this in person.



 We are using the top two drawers as a shelf, so I painted inside, too.  We are putting a 1/4" board down in the top, too, so I didn't paint that part of the dresser.  The board will get painted and then we'll slide it in. 


 Old holes closed up and painted over!

I only painted four drawers since those are the only ones we are using.  I will probably paint the remaining two at some point in case we decide to ever use this as a real dresser again, but I'm not too concerned about that right now.

We brought it into the house before the handles OR that extra board for the top shelf were on.  But again... I'm impatient. And Michael said it was ok :)

But now it's FINISHED!  The handles came the day after we moved it inside and we got that bottom board in there a week or so after that...

So, here is the old TV stand...

(not a great picture of it, I realize)


And the new one!!!
 

 I kept these handles a secret from Michael until I got them put on.  He did actually guess that they were going to be lion's heads though... It was one of many guesses, but still.  He cheats... somehow... He knew they were something funny though because every time I would talk about them I'd giggle...

I love them.

A lot.



I love the whole dresser!  It looks sooooooooooo so so so much better.  It's taller now too so Natalie won't be able to reach the TV for a long time.  Especially since she's going to be a little shorty.
 
 I made this runner really quickly the other day.  I like that weave pattern and the black and white polka dots.  I let Michael choose which side he wanted facing up, and he chose the weave.


I just love it.  I'm so happy with it.  Like I said before, this is not the type of dresser I was originally searching for, but... I couldn't be any happier with it now.




Here is a side by side comparison.


 Yay!

We got it finished just in time, too.  Natalie is a little stinker and is pulling herself up onto anything/everything already... So I'm so so so happy we got that old dangerous TV stand out of here when we did!




Linked:
 

11 comments:

  1. We have that same little lion!
    I'm dying to know where you found it. Ours came with our house...as a knocker on our front door.

    Here's the original:
    http://www.theboltons.com/2011/05/10-on-10-may.html

    And then I painted him:
    http://www.theboltons.com/2011/07/3-completely-unrelated-things.html

    I love your TV stand! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those lion heads! SO awesome! And that paint stripping looks totally fun.

    Found you through the Just A Girl linkup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome transformation! I love how you went through each step of the process, I couldn't wait to see it by the end and it sure didn't disappoint. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how this came out, such a great idea! So nifty to leave out the top drawers, that's the perfect spot for the dvd players and game consoles! Thanks for sharing your transformation! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! Turned out really neat, love the lions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I love this. I did the same thing but never thought about pulling out the first two drawers for the Playstation. I am definitely gonna do this. This is so worthy of a pin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a gorgeous transformation! I love the color that you chose, and I love the hardware. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK You must read this comment. Go to http://www.remodelandolacasa.com/2012/10/the-case-of-runny-legs-dresser.html and check out the dresser. It has to be the same dresser. I am not sure how I found this. I have never been at either blog until tonight. I clicked on this and thought I had seen this dresser before. Too funny. Kind of neat seeing all its transformations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your site. I love this dresser! You did a fantastic job. I've been looking on Craigslist for weeks for a dresser to turn into a tv stand. No luck so far but I'm not giving up. You gave me some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete