Wednesday, December 28, 2011


I meant to do this much sooner, but I've been a bit distracted...

Here I was at 38 weeks and 3 days pregnant.

And here is what happened at exactly 39 weeks.

Natalie Jolene was born at 12:10 AM on December 17th, 2011.  

I have a hard time saying when I actually went into labor because I was waking up with contractions all night on the 15th/early morning on the 16th.  Then I had irregular contractions all day on the 16th.  Some of them were 5 minutes apart, and some were more like 15-20 so I assumed it was just false labor.  I went back and forth so many times about whether or not I should call the hospital and just see what they thought... I kept deciding not to call because I figured they were just going to stop all together at some point.  By the time Michael got home from work they were very regular (and painful) around 5-6 minutes apart, and at 4 PM on the 16th we headed to the hospital.  

Once we were in the car it felt like they were coming even closer together than that, and by the time we got to the hospital I swear they were coming almost nonstop.  I know that they weren't, but it didn't take long before it seemed like I could barely get any kind of a break in between them.

Once we got checked in they tried to have me walk around for an hour to see if that would get things moving even faster, but that turned out to be extremely difficult.  I was having lots and lots of pressure in my lower back and walking around was just not going to work.  I was leaning on the table in our room and Michael kept trying to convince me to try to walk to the bed or to the couch.  I would make it about 2 steps before I'd have another contraction and have to turn around and lean on the table again.

Michael tried to help by rubbing my back which only led to me swatting his hand away because it hurt too badly :) It felt better for me to try and rub my own back because I knew exactly where it hurt. Our childbirth classes totally tricked me on that.  I thought I'd be all for having my back rubbed, or my legs rubbed or any kind of massage.  But no.  He was not allowed to touch me.

After that hour of attempting to walk (I probably only made it about 30-40 minutes before I wanted to lay down), things were moving along fairly quickly.  I was progressing about 1 cm per hour and was very ready for an epidural when it was finally offered.

I have no idea what time I got the epidural...  They also broke my water at one point, but again I have no clue when that happened. Michael says after they broke my water things happened really fast.

I remember feeling ready to push and kept asking if I could.  The doctor was not around at that point, but our nurse started getting my bed set up to deliver and there were times when I was practically begging to push.   She finally let me start before the doctor arrived and I'm not sure when she actually got there.  Things were kind of a blur for the last few hours... 

Michael was extremely supportive and helpful and was holding me up to push completely on his own by the end because I was so tired.

I pushed for almost exactly 1 hour and Natalie was born at 12:10 on Saturday December 17th.

There's so much more I could say about that day but it would take forever to write it all down.  Even though it was painful and exhausting, things went extremely well. We couldn't be happier with the way it turned out.

We had been keeping a calendar with people's birth date guesses on it, and Michael guessed the 17th so he was pretty proud of himself :)

We were/are extremely happy she decided to show up a whole week early!  I've been telling her all along that she needed to be a little early and I'm very glad she listened to me.

She is pretty perfect.  She's completely healthy.  Even though she was a little jaundice, her levels didn't get high enough to be anything to worry too much about.  And we love her full head of hair.

 She weighed 6 lbs. 12 oz. and was 18.5 inches long and is pretty much the cutest baby of all time.

 All cleaned up.

 And swaddled.

We technically stayed in the hospital 3 nights because I delivered just past midnight on Saturday.  It was definitely nice to be there for those 3 nights but we were sooooo ready to go home on Monday.

 She's kicking her socks off already, and ready to go home!

With her daddy.

Ignore my crazy eyes... I was (am) very tired.  But she is making such a hilarious face... I love it.

 Thinking very hard about her first bath that was about to take place...

 She didn't enjoy her first bath and was so happy to be out and warmed up in her towel.  She could have laid there for the rest of the day and been perfectly happy I'm pretty sure.

She liked her second bath much better, I'm happy to say.

 Laying in her room all warm in the sunlight.  

We are happy.  

Very very very very tired, but so happy.  

Today is our first full day alone with her since we came home from the hospital on the 19th...  Having a baby the week before Christmas turned out to be the craziest thing ever.  We're exhausted.

It's a good thing she's so dang cute. I think we'll keep her.


  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! WOW, what a happy Christmas gift! Enjoy every second of her, they grow up WAY too fast!!! She is just beautiful :)

  2. She is soooo cute! Congratulations!!! She's really adorable:)

  3. p.s. My little sister's name is Natalie and she was born on Jan 2nd but I think she was due right around xmas too. I love the name! Very classy and beautiful

  4. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! What an amazing birth story - so happy things went so well for you! She is so precious, glad to hear you are all doing so well..and so darn happy!! :)