Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Back Porch Makeover

This post has been a long time in the making, people.  I started writing it this summer when we were actually working on our porch, and I FINALLY took pictures of it finished.

So, here's my 3-4 month old post with a few new pictures at the end:


We're re-doing our back porch.

We intended on just painting over our old ugly vinyl flooring because, seriously, how cute are these painted floors:

 from here

 from here

from here

from here
from here
from here

 You get the idea.  All cute, right?  We weren't planning on doing a stencil but I figured anything would be better than what we had.

...but then we realized that the tiles on our back porch were very likely asbestos tiles since our house is pretty old... which means we could absolutely NOT sand the floor before we painted. Sanding asbestos tiles is a pretty big no-no.  But, sanding your floor before priming and painting is a pretty important part of painting over tiles because it will help make sure that your paint is going to stick to a non-glossy surface.

So... We thought maybe we'd still try to paint it, and just make sure we de-grease the crap out of it first, then do multiple coats of primer, paint and polyurathane.

Well, on the way to Lowes we started talking about doing self adhesive vinyl tiles instead.  I liked that idea way better from the beginning but thought painting it seemed like the less expensive route.

One look at the tiles and we decided we would be much happier with those than a painted floor.  Painting the floor would also basically kick us off of our back porch for at least a few days to give it time to dry, which would be a pretty huge pain in our butts since that is the door we use 99% of the time and the door we let Dexter out of when he needs to go out.

So.  Tiles won.  By a lot.

And my plan all along was to paint the walls too, because they were not good...

Here is the porch before we started taking everything out... from one side of the porch at least.

(The love seat will be getting a slip cover soon and hopefully there will be some sort of new window coverings too, because they won't go with the new colors of the porch at all... you'll see)


After it was emptied:
 Those colors were getting very close to driving me absolutely insane.  Peach and purple... really???

 I didn't have much of a problem with the back porch when we moved in.  But, this is the main door we use to go in and out of the house so we're back here a lot and there were so many things about it that really started to bug me.

 So we put down the new floor...

And we painted the walls...

And here is what it looked like when we were done!
.
.
.
.
 .
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 



 
I was going for a ''robin's egg blue''ish color and thought this one was pretty close.  It isn't quite this bright in person, but I like it a lot.  I think it is called Lake Breeze by Valspar.
I love it with the new white cabinets and molding and the little bit of exposed bricke.  The color of the cabinets is almost the exact color of the old molding, but I re-painted all of the molding too.  I had no idea how close of a match the color was until I started painting over it.  You could barely tell where I had painted and where I hadn't.  

OK.

Here's where the new stuff starts... which is basically just a few pictures.

Don't ask me why it took me so long to finish this... Baby projects are just way way way more fun I guess :)

My little table of succulents... succulents are about the only plants I can keep alive so it works out pretty well that I'm obsessed with them. 


 Ignore how bright these pictures are.

 We get TONS of light back here now with these sheer curtains.

 More succulent globes on that little table.

Slipcovers bother me a little bit, but the look of this slightly off white slipcover looks so much better with the new floor/wall color than the green that it was before.


Dexter loves to sleep on the love seat back here... it's adorable.  He kept jumping up there while I was trying to take pictures, but I was mean and made him leave.  I think he forgave me though.

So our new porch is about a billion times better than the old one, even though it's not super exciting... AND I am really excited to have this post no longer saved as a Draft :)  Phew.

3 comments:

  1. wow, what a change! It looks incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it!! I SO need to do something about my kitchen floor.

    ReplyDelete