Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

Fabric ABC Magnets

Alright, so I'm getting impatient about this whole nursery reveal... so I'm going to show another tiny piece of it just to entertain myself a little bit.

We got this magnet board at IKEA and I made all of the fabric letter magnets.  I actually made 2 sets of letters because I always get annoyed when you're trying to spell a word with one set of the alphabet and don't have enough letters... not that this happens to me very often, but when it does it is frustrating :)

Obviously we won't be needing these for real spelling for quite some time, but they're still fun, right?


These magnets were probably the most time consuming thing I made in the entire room, but I'm happy I did them.  

I bought a set of cardstock letter stencils at The Dollar Tree so I didn't have to cut out my own letters using my cricut/print them out from the computer and cut them out/or just draw them out freehand.  I wanted to have something to trace, and it was a lot faster and easier using pre-made stencils.  

I cut out random sized pieces of fabric (I didn't measure any of them, just guessed), batting and another piece of fabric for the back and put them into piles.  Then I traced each letter stencil onto the piece of fabric I wanted on top while keeping the stack of fabric/batting/fabric together and pinned them.  

Then I sewed on top of the lines that I traced, and cut the letter out after they were sewed.  Then I used a zig zag stitch around the edges of each letter so they didn't have any raw edges.


After they were all sewed together I put Mod Podge all over the backs of each letter just to make them a little more stiff and sturdy (and to help control any fraying of edges).  I let them dry overnight and then super glued magnets to the back. 



There are lots of tutorials you can find online and follow, but it is really pretty simple.  I did look at a few different websites before I made mine, but I ended up just kind of figuring it out on my own as I went along to get them how I wanted them.

Here are a few I looked at, though:
The Purl Bee (A no-sew option)

I am definitely glad I made them because I think they turned out pretty cute, but making two sets of letters was slightly more time consuming than I anticipated.  But I'm happy to have them all and won't be stuck only spelling words that require one of each letter! :)


Linked:
Gluesticks
Fingerprints on the Fridge
Somewhat Simple
Smilemonsters
ABC and 123
Sumo's Sweet Stuff
C.R.A.F.T
Polly Want A Crafter
Skip to my Lou
Tip Junkie
A Glimpse Inside 
Tatertots and Jello

10 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous and I love all the funky patterns. If I had any sewing skills at all I would make this. I am a new follower from the Gluesticks Hop. Vicky @ www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. How super amazing are these! You are going to be the best mom ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the cutest alphabet magnets I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very very cute! never too soon to start looking at letters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute :)
    It makes me wish I knew how to sew!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable. I know this is a weird question, but how did you learn how to sew? Did someone show you? I'd really like to learn but I'm scared I'm just going to suck at it haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hah oh my gosh! that is SO cute and smart :) I'm sure your little one with love them ,too

    Lovely Little Rants

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable! I love all the fun mix of patterned fabric!

    ReplyDelete