Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Tiered Tray

 I've been seeing lots of DIY tiered trays made from plates floating around lately.

I have been wanting to make one but wasn't quite sure what I would do with it... Until I remembered this  mess:


 (I actually never use clips like that so don't ask me why I have so many of them... I don't use a whole lot of this stuff actually besides the headbands... oops.)

This is just a candle holder that my mom somehow convinced me to take a while ago.  Before we moved, we used to have it in our bathroom with Q-tips, cotton balls and nail clippers in each dish (there are 3 since you can't tell in this picture), which worked out great actually... 

(But now I am much happier with my IKEA containers)
 

I'm thinking my headbands and other hair accessories need a new home.  Pretty badly, if you ask me.

Making these tiered trays is SO ridiculously easy.  You could get much more creative with your tray if you wanted to, but this is exactly what I wanted.

I bought two different sized plates at Target, and a bowl for the top.


I was just going to buy candlesticks at Target as well to separate the plates, but they didn't have any. Which turned out to be a very good thing.

Michael was making a trip to look at video games one day, and Goodwill happens to be right next door... so I went in there looking for candlesticks and found these beauties for 88 cents a piece:


I am SO happy I didn't buy candlesticks anywhere else before finding these because I absolutely love them.  I love the shape, and the height is exactly what I was hoping to find.

So I sanded them down and spray painted them with Glossy White Krylon.


 AH. I love them!

Then I grabbed some Gorilla Glue and glued the bottom of one candlestick and centered it as best as I could.


I let that dry for a little while before adding the second plate with more glue.


Again, let it dry for a bit then added the second candlestick and the bowl:


I LOVE IT!

I put a can of soup in the bowl just to add some weight to it to make sure it was getting pushed down onto the glue.  These plates are really really light, but I think even without any extra weight the Gorrilla Glue is strong enough to hold it together while it's drying.


I had to let it dry for a few hours before I trusted it enough to move it around a whole lot, but finally took it upstairs and got everything put away.


I'm kind of feeling like this tray might be too cute for random hair accessories, but I like that I finally have enough space for everything!

I might have to make another one of these for somewhere else in the house... if I can find a place for one that makes sense :)

I'm really really happy with the way the tray turned out.  Target always has such cute plates, and the resin plates are always really inexpensive.  When I was at Goodwill I seriously considered just buying some mismatched ones from there, which would look pretty cool I think... but I'm glad I stuck with the ones from Target. I love the colors and the patterns. 


Check out some more DIY tiered trays.

There are obviously tons of ways you can go about this, and they're all great if you ask me!











8 comments:

  1. I have been thinking of doing this project too! I swear, sometimes we think so much alike. However, you are the one crafty enough to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to make one of these now! They are all so pretty and there are about a million uses for them. Thanks so much for the motivation and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Found you from TCB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so adorable!! so much more organized now :)

    I'd love for you to link this up to my new link party, Your Whims Wednesday! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/04/your-whims-wednesday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! You've inspired me to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    http://sunnissideoflife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I love the patterns you chose and the bright white! Now I want to make one (one the cheapy cheap)to give to a friend who has never had Funfetti cupcakes! Can you believe that???? Thanks for sharing and I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That came out so gorgeous. I love the plates you chose and I love all the uses you showed. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh I love this. I adore those plates you used and even more I love that it holds all your hair and girlie goodies! What a cute idea, I want one for my bathroom counter =) I'd be thrilled to have you link this to my VIP party today! http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/04/vip-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete