Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

The R wall is growing.

Our wall of R's in the spare bedroom is slowly growing.  The latest R is the only one I've actually ''made'', it was just a chipboard R that I bought at Hobby Lobby for $1.  

I intended on wrapping it with yarn because I thought that would be really cute, but it turned out to be really stinking frustrating.

I took a picture with my phone and it doesn't look too terrible, but it was bad and only getting worse as I went on.

 If our last name started with O or any easier letter I'd definitely do the yarn, but I was getting so annoyed.

So I decided to wrap it in fabric.   I still have a bit of extra chevron fabric from our curtains... and pillows...  I wonder how many more things I can make out of this stuff.

These pictures are not the greatest, by the way.  I didn't feel like switching lenses and we didn't have our good flash on.  I'm pretty sure no pictures were necessary of this process anyways, but oh well :)


I traced around the R leaving about an inch of fabric to wrap around the back.


Then used Elmer's spray adhesive and sprayed the top of the R and stuck it to the backside of the fabric.


I used my hot glue gun to glue the fabric to the back.


All glued on.

Done!

Again, forgive the picture...





I am still missing my other lower case R that I can't find and it's driving me INSANE.  The wall doesn't look cool at all in this picture, but it's getting there.  I am just completely randomly putting these on the wall so it is a little lopsided at the moment, but we'll get it evened out eventually.  

It is fun to find R's.  

Hobby Lobby and Michaels always have letters everywhere and it's hard not to just buy a bunch and call it good.  I'd rather stumble upon them randomly every once in a while... but so far most of them actually have come from those two places... Some day I'll find a really cool one with a good story behind it.  The one lower case one I have I got from my mom for Christmas, so I like that one.  I kind of want to start writing where and when I got them on the backs... but again, just writing ''Hobby Lobby, February 2011'' is bo-ring.  We'll see.  I've got big hopes for this wall.  I keep hoping I'll find letters laying around at a flea market or at Goodwill or something, but no luck yet.  Not R's at least.

I'm trying to get a couple other wall art projects done so we'll see how those turn out.
Dexter is driving me freaking bonkers...

 But he's almost too pretty to be mad at...almost.



Linked:
The Shabby Next
Sassy Sites
Fingerprints on the Fridge
Frou Frou Decor
Tatortots and Jello

11 comments:

  1. what a cute idea!! love this. I have never been in Hobby Lobby, believe it or not. I need to go sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hobby Lobby is DEVINE! I sooo wish we had one! The only time we get to go is on vacations!!! Love your latest R, and the wall does look really neat!!!

    Hello cutey Dexter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so funny that you posted this! JoAnn's is having a sale on their letters... I thought the sign said they were all a dollar... so I stacked all these letter "M"s in my cart thinking I just scored the best idea ever and it's going to cost me NOTHING... yeah they were a dollar off.. oops. It's such a great idea, I might go back and get one or 2 so I can start my collection... I love the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this idea! don't know why i never thought of that. definitely one to add to the list! thanks for this great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty!! Hey, my name is Ali, and my last name starts with "R," AND, I'm obsessed with initials. My little girl is named Hayden and she has an entire wall of Hs by her crib. We're kindred spirits I think :) Just popping over from TT&J :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, yes, definitely name your future little guy Noah someday, it's the best boy name ever!! This is the post about all of the initials in my house:

    http://mythirdtruelove.blogspot.com/2010/10/initial-intervention.html

    Ha ha. I need therapy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! That fabric looks so great on the letter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE that fabric - seriously considered it for the chairs in our breakfast room. And the wall of Rs is such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've recently just stumbled across your blog & I'm so glad. I love it!

    I want to do a letter wall in our house. I'm thinking of putting it going up the stairs since it's such an odd shaped wall & needs something but pictures don't really work.

    I've also thought about wrapping the letter with yarn or twine, but have been too lazy to do it. Now I'm kinda glad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so fun! I've never seen anyone have a wall like that. I love it!

    ReplyDelete