Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Heat Transfer Vinyl. Awesome

Michael and I have a nephew on the way, he will probably be here within the next week and a half or so and we are pretty excited about it.  It will be my first nephew!  My two nieces are pretty darn cute, but I am excited to have a little boy in the family :)

SO... I knew I wanted to make him a onesie of some sort... I bought a onesie at Hobby Lobby and it sat around on my desk for a couple of weeks before I decided what I wanted to make him.

I love all things Iowa, basically, even though we live in Illinois now (I guess Illinois is ok too :)... ).

So I had to make the little guy something to do with Iowa to get him started early on his Iowa pride :)  Both of his parent's work at Iowa State so I'm sure he will be loaded with Iowa State gear, but I wanted something a little different.

So I made this on Sure Cuts a lot. 

 
I had the Iowa picture since I made our Iowa and Illinois and Home Sweet Home signs.


I think I had to search and search and search for an Iowa outline on Google then turned it into an SVG. 


I was originally going to use the Iowa outline and then put each individual letter on, but I decided I'd rather use the solid Iowa cutout, which ended up being so much easier I'm sure, but I also think it looks much better.

When you are cutting t-shirt vinyl you have to cut everything backwards.  I'm glad I watched the video on expressionsvinyl.com (which is where I got the vinyl from... their vinyl is way way way cheaper than the cricut brand and you can buy single 6x12 sheets... it's pretty awesome) because I might not have known to cut it backwards.  I have never cut any type of vinyl before but I was pretty sure that with regular vinyl you can just cut it normal (true, or not?).
Ironing the onesie ahead of time.


Then put the vinyl on the shirt.  I had to put in the pieces in the A's, O and D.  I about lost one of the little A triangles so I had to sit and think about if I wanted to cut another A or leave the spaces open.  Thank goodness I found it so I could stop trying to decide :)

 
Ready to iron!

I was realllly paranoid that I was going to do something wrong, and that the vinyl wouldn't stick or that I would melt it too much or something, but it came out PERFECTLY.


It peeled off super easy and the vinyl was totally stuck to the onesie.

I have a feeling there are going to be TONS more projects like this to come.  It was way too fun and I can't wait to see the little guy wearing it :)







 


 Linked:

21 comments:

  1. I love all things Iowa, too! :) This is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it!
    If only I didn't live in Massachusetts! I'd have to wrap the letters around the entire onesie! :D Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! That looked like loads of fun to make, and I know the parents will just LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a niece/nephew on the way and he/she WAS made in Iowa. I am going to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great post!!! I am your newest follower and hope that you will come be a follower at my blog!!! brooke
    brookedouglass@yahoo.com
    Girl Boy Girl Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah this is soooo cute!! Love it!! Let me know if you would ever like to do a tutorial for Handmade Tuesdays :) And thanks so much for linking up to handmade tuesdays @ ladybug blessings! www.ladybug-blessings.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend wants me to make her a Made in Texas onesie and this might be just what I have to do. So much easier than doing the applique on the shape of Texas. Thanks for linking up over at Giggles, Glitz & Glam!

    Be sure to check out this excellent giveaway: http://www.tinyurl.com/froggygirl

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha, this is adorable! I love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking up! I'll be featuring this on my blog on Saturday!

    http://sumossweetstuff.blogspot.com

    Sumo:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely LOVE this! My kids lived in onesies when they were babies, so I love gifting them to people. I usually do initials with bows for girls or ties for boys, but this idea is super cute! Thanks for sharing where you get the supplies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. very cute! I have an award for you on my blog, would love for you to stop by and check it out. www.craftsandcontainers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so cute! I've never tried vinyl before - it turned out perfectly!
    http://www.shannonsews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saw this on House of Hepworths. This is too cute, but I would have to put the best state on mine...TEXAS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cool. i just bought a cricut expression so i'm going to have top try this out tina x x http://scratchycatcrafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cute! I am so making one of these for my nephew due in April!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG Im going to follow you!! I am from Illinois and my husband is from Iowa! were in the QCA. visit my blog!

    http://makethebestofeverything.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! I was "made" in Iowa too!

    Megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this! My son was "made" in Iowa as well as my me and my husband, but my daughter was "made" in California, which is where we live now. I am always dressing the kids in U of I gear since I am an Iowa alum, we have Iowa license plate holders on our cars, and I even walked up to a complete stranger over the weekend just because she had on an Iowa t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete