Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Coat Closet Makeover

I got the idea in my head on Thursday that I was going to re-do our coat closet.

I knew I wanted to paint it at the very least.  I have been wanting to paint stripes somewhere in this house and figured a tiny little closet might be a good place for some stripes/some good practice.

First off, let's take a look at this madness...

BLECH.

I was not planning on re-painting the entire closet first, but as I was clearing out the coats I noticed that it was not painted very well... so I decided to paint the whole thing.  

 
These pictures are not great, but you can kind of see that the paint job was pretty bad.

I had already been to Lowes to buy the stripe color when I realized this, and did not feel like going back.  So I made a trip to the basement instead.

The old owners of the house repainted EVERYTHING when they moved out and left all of the paint in the basement for us.  So that was awesome for us not to have to paint anything if we didn't want to... I still don't know why they chose maroon for the bathroom, but whatever.

In the basement was a quart of paint which they wrote ''Mis-tint'' on, so apparently it wasn't the color they wanted.  It had been opened, obviously, but it was a full quart of paint.  So I brought it up.

I have a hard time telling what color it really is.  It is kind of a greyish beighish color.  I don't know, but I liked it.

So the whole closet got painted.   I realize you can't tell the difference AT ALL in this picture... but trust me, in real life it made a big difference.
 

 After that dried I got to work taping the stripes.  I figured 6" stripes sounded good, so I measured every 6" up each wall and made a mark.  And of course they didn't line up as I started to tape.

I am the most impatient person EVER if you haven't figured that out yet, so I'm sure my measurements were sloppy.  Well, I guess that is pretty obvious since my markings didn't match up...  I got it figured out, though.  I had to basically just eyeball the whole thing.  I started off on the left wall with my mark there and then just tried to keep the tape as straight as possible as I went across the other two walls.




 I took a step back every few stripes to make sure they weren't crooked, and they were looking good, so I was really really happy.  My impatience was not going to put up with untaping and retaping those walls repeatedly.
Then came the paint!

Going into Lowes that morning I really didn't know what color I was going to pick.  I tried to stay away from green because that is always the color I am drawn to and I need to get out of that.  

I thought about a dark grey, but didn't want the closet to feel too dark since it is so tiny AND since there is no light in there.

So I headed towards the yellows and found one looked good.  I chose ''Golden Buff'' by Olympic.

Here it is after a coat of paint.




And here it is with the tape came oft after two coats of paint.


 
I was a little worried that doing this on a textured wall might not work out real well, but I made sure the tape was stuck down really well and it turned out pretty good. 

I did do a quite few touch ups with the greyish color which are still wet in these pictures so they stand out quite a bit.

Now...I am not putting the rod back in.  I hated it.  I want to be able to get my toes into this closet if I need to, but it is so tiny that there is just no room when you have SEVENTEEN coats in there.  Yes, between the two of us we had seventeen coats/sweatshirts in that tiny little space.

Instead of the rod, I decided to hang hooks along the walls.  This may or may not turn out to be a terrible idea, but I think I am going to LOVE it. And if we do hate it, we still have the rod and can very easily put it back into place.

We have other places in this house where old/out of season coats can go so we were going to have to just pick a few to keep in there.

Also, that shoe rack on the door??? Not my favorite thing in the world.  Again, we have wayyyyy too many shoes crammed into that thing.  I decided that putting shelves along the inside wall would be PERFECT.

SO...

Saturday we made a trip to Lowes to buy the wood.  If I had gone alone I would have just had the people at Lowes cut the boards to the size I needed... but I wanted Michael to come with to make sure I didn't pick out really junky wood or do something stupid somehow.  I think going into it he knew he was going to walk out of there with a circular saw but I did not have that plan in mind when this project was started :)

BUT he found one that he thought would be good, and I know he has been wanting one... so we left with wood that was NOT cut, a circular saw (and some other tools), 2 saw horses, clamps, and a couple other miscelaneous items.

Once again, if I had gone alone I would've walked out of there spending about $5 on wood... Let me just say that we spent FAR more than $5 on that trip.  Gross.

BUT, now that Michael has the appropriate tools I have many more projects that we can actually get accomplished and that is great news :)

So we came home, he started charging the batteries on his cordless circular saw and he got the wood measured.
 
I finished hanging the hooks in the closet and sat and waited for the boards to get cut.





As soon as they were done I got to painting.



He did a good job!



The brackets got hung while the paint dried.



The shelves got put into place:









Then we got to put everything back in!

SOME shoes got put onto the shelves (most got put in a spot that makes much more sense for a bunch of shoes that don't get worn very often)





(I am INSIDE the closet taking this picture.  I was amazed)
.
SOME coats got hung on the hooks (the rest of the coats went down to the basement)...


(There are probably still too many coats, but I can handle this amount!)







Remember what it looked like before??



And now:



It is not easy to take pictures of a closet this tiny!



 SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know that de-cluttering the closet the way it was would have made a huge difference, too.  But I love it like this.  I love the hooks and the shelves and the stripes.  I love that we can fit inside the closet if one of us is trying to scare the other (or Dexter... which has already happened).

I am happy!





I heart Naptime 
Tatortots and Jello
Under the Table and Dreaming
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Sew Chatty
Sumo's Sweet Stuff
Craft-O-Maniac
Making the World Cuter
Ladybug Blessings
Not Just a Housewife
Giggles, Glitz and Glam
Little Eme
Sugar Bee - Craft Edition
Today's Creative Blog
Blue Cricket Design
Someday Crafts
Seven thirty three
Paisley Passions 
Gluesticks 
Frou Frou Decor
Sassy Sites!
Fingerprints on the Fridge

24 comments:

  1. I love it! Now Michael can come do my closet! I am giggling picturing you hiding in the closet waiting to scare somebody. However, I will never trust you when I come visit. I will sprint past the closet every time I do not see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! It looks so so great! I love the stripes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You are so talented! I have a big crush on yellow right now and I love this closet. Will you come and do mine? haha. I am a brand new follower and I love your blog :)


    www.theelephantstrunk42.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I have the exact same (before) closet. Seriously identical. So much crammed in, no space. I don't think I could convince my husband AT. ALL. to do something so out of the box (even if I promised the circular saw), but I truly love this. It feels like you could actually find stuff. And that you can breathe, which feels weird to say when talking about a closet, but this redo is like a breath of fresh air. And I love the yellow. Everyone needs some yellow in their house. I think we have basically the same colour in our bedroom. It's so refreshing to wake up to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is fabulous! Cool Paint color Choice. I want to paint our front closet a fun color and take the rod down too. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a good idea! Wow! I really love the way that it turned out. I may have to borrow your shelf idea. our hall closet needs help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fabulous! You did a really lovely job. :) I would totally copy if I had the space! lol.
    http://humblehomemaking.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great transformation! I love the colors. I need to do something like this in our closet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is great! A little space-planning goes a long way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh fabulous! I like all the hooks instead of hangers! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks awesome! I love the colors you went with. And hooks all over instead of a rod? Brilliant! I've been trying in vain to come up with ideas to redo my much too small coat closet... I am now going to go measure my closet and see what I can do... THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm LOVING this closet. It's perfect!!! I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, so cool! I'm hosting We're Organized Wednesday through Saturday and would love for you to join the party if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love this idea. So much more functional!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I loved this idea so much that I featured it today on The Weekend Review party at Humble Homemaking. Check it out on the link below and feel free to grab a featured button for your blog! I hope you have a wonderful day. :)

    http://humblehomemaking.blogspot.com/2011/02/weekend-review-weekend-linky-party.html

    p.s. I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really good job! It looks much better than the before. Love the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for linking to We're Organized Wednesday. I'll be featuring this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Turned out fabulous. I'm your newest follower. I'm having my 1st link party tomorrow (Monday) it would be great if you would stop by and add your project. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. great job. loving the bright yellow color.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks SO good. I love the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is an awesome transformation!!

    Hi, I'm your newest follower. I would like to invite you to come over and post this on our blog hop called Show Off Your Crafty Side. It runs all week long.. Here's the link:
    Purple Froggie Clay Stuff

    Hope you have a great evening!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the yellow stripes. I'm about to try my hand at aqua chevrons...nervous!! Thanks so much for linking up. Please grab a button and feel free to share with your readers.

    ReplyDelete