Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

We have an organized pantry. Finally.

I have been meaning to organize our pantry for a long long long time.  I had it pretty organized when we moved in, but it slowly started to become a disaster area.

After seeing this ridiculously amazing pantry from House of Smith's I decided I needed to quit putting it off.  


 Pretty much amazing, right?

There is no possible way it was going to end up looking this good partly because of the size of our pantry (teeeeeny tiny), but I gave it a shot.

Let's look at some other awesome pantries first, shall we?


I love all these turn tables...


Awesome huge pantry...

Huge.  I am so jealous of this space.
A little of this.  A little of that.





Perfectly organized pantries/closets/cabinets/lives make me so happy.  These all look so good.  Our pantry is pretty tiny, but I did my best!

I ordered a bunch of suuuuper inexpensive plastic containers from usplastic.com  That is one of the most random websites I could've gotten them from, but they work!

Here is what our lovely pantry looked like before I got to work:


It drove me crazy how close that second shelf was to the top shelf.  That box of corn starch was seriously pushing it's limits.  It was really stuffed in there. So I definitely wanted to move that down after everything was out.






I like having a pantry but it would be soooo nice if this was just a little bit wider. 


First I took everything out, including the shelves:


Spaced the shelves out a little more evenly.




I bought these rolls of shelf liner at Michaels in their dollar bins...



Putting shelf liner on the shelves was much more of a pain than I imagined... Especially with Dexter's "help"



But I got it on there!



 For some reason, when it came time to put the shelves back in they did not want to cooperate.  I had to really pound some of them in there, and they were definitely not that hard to take out.  So they must only fit in there a specific way.  Frustrating.  They're in, though, and that's all I care about.  They might not ever want to come OUT, but we'll deal with that later :)

Shelves back in.


I like it!

I bought some photo boxes at Hobby Lobby the other day to put some of the packaged food in.  I knew I wanted to use these, but didn't want to buy them for $5 a piece at Michaels and that was really the only place I had been finding them until I remembered to check Hobby Lobby.  Hobby Lobby has them for $4 AND they were 40% off this week!  I was pretty excited about that.
I wanted these so that I could put labels in them, but I haven't gotten that far yet.  This one has Swiss Miss packets, oatmeal and popcorn.

I imagine these shelves will get rearranged quite a bit over the next few days, but I like it a lot better!



I bought a turn table at Bed, Bath and Beyond, too.  After I started putting stuff away I wasn't even sure I was going to need it.  But then I had a few random jars sitting out still, so I stuck them on there, and I like it a lot! 


I ran out of liner for the bottom shelf :(  I might go get some more though because I really don't like looking at that crazy blue stuff.  I don't even know what it is...

I bought a couple of tiered shelves for soup cans.  These fit PERFECTLY in the bottom of the pantry, but only if they were sitting on top of that little bit of molding that's down there, which led them to sag in the middle.  So for now I just stuck some carboard there, I'll put something else there eventually.  I couldn't think of anything else to shove in there yesterday and had lots of cardboard sitting around.  It works.


Boxes/packaged foods.  Pudding, jello, peanut butter, etc.  It is actually driving me crazy how I have these stuck in there... I'm not sure how else to arrange them to make me like it better, so I'm sure it will stay this way for a while.  I might need to go buy another box or two I think.

Oh, and I am TERRIBLE at putting shelf liner on.  Look at what a mess the front of this shelf is... BOO.  I'll have to go try and fix it.


Turn table with bouillon cubes, toothpicks, cocoa, corn starch and... salt maybe?  The box is full of baking goods.  Baking powder and such.

Corn flakes, saltines, rice cakes and cheerios.

 Gluten free stuff... Noodles, flour, bread crumbs, cookie and cake mix, more noodles... Chocolate PB2.  PB2 is the best invention ever.  All peanut butter is gluten free, but this stuff is delicious.  It is powdered peanut butter that you mix with water... It sounds gross, but it is so good.  The chocolate is so much better than the original though.  Oh, and it's only 50 calories for 2 tablespoons rather than 190 which is why I love it so much.  I used to eat it allllll the time when I first started eating gluten free because it was an easy snack to figure out.  I had it with apples and rice cakes mostly.  I don't eat it as often now, but it's pretty great.

Our pantry looks sooo much better... even if I didn't do a very good job with the liner.  Gah.



Before                                 After


17 comments:

  1. Looks great. And I'm wowed at all those walk-in pantries. I really need to do a clear-out now that I've got this inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job with your pantry! What an organized space! I like how you used the photo boxes to organize food. Good idea!

    Thanks for posting a pic of my pantry :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fabulous! Great job!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our pantry is the top of our basement stairs. It is actually in pretty good shape, but doesn't look real pretty and lately it's been on my mind to make it look super pretty. you'rs looks great! domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful! Congrats, I'm sure you feel so happy each time you open that door :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! You did a great job! I love the little lazy susan!
    I would love to have you link up to our weekly link party:
    http://www.between3sisters.com/search/label/MidweekMotivation/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go! Looks great. This will eventually get on my list of things to do! Thanks for all the inspiration! I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an inspiration..and you are being hard on yourself! Your shelves look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have inspired me!!! our pantry is about this size... thank you!!! please come link this to our party over here: http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/02/project-party-weekend-heart-shaped-ice.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great. I have had "organize pantry" on my list of things to do for quite sometime....maybe I'll get on that this afternoon...

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pantry makeovers! I saw that contact paper at Michaels, too! I bought the ones with the swirls. Love that dollar section.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my gosh! you're genius! such cute style you have. i love it. it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow your pantry turned out great! Thanks for all the inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm always looking for ways to organize my pantry. It's a disaster area. I wonder how well the boxes work? It seems like they would collect dust and spilled stuff in the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great! The shelf paper really prettied it up.
    I never cease to be amazed. I keep finding people with GF items in their pantries. More and more are joining the crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  16. where did you find the baskets? Your pantry looks great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them at Hobby Lobby! And thank you :)

      Delete