Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

New Stockings!

Our house is becoming very Christmas-y and I LOOOOOVE it.

Our tree is up, I bought two cheap-o garlands at Walmart today and twisted a strand of lights around each them put them on our shelf in the living room and dining room. Bought some Christmas flower things to put on the dining room table... and some other little decorations randomly placed around the house.

I don't know how much more I can do in here without driving Michael insane. We'll see what he says when he comes home.

Yesterday I bought some burlap and some fabric to make new stockings for us. Last year we used really ugly ones I bought at The Dollar Tree I think... I can't remember where they came from, but they were pretty bad.

I made the actual stockings last night and did the final touches today.

I like them a lot. And they turned out pretty good for just making them up as I went along. My processes are never very good or very planned out, but as long as the project turns out fine in the end then I'm ok.

Here are the stockings as they were last night:


They are lined with dark brown fabric. I wasn't actually even going to line then, because I am so impatient that I didn't even want to mess with it... but I had to or they would've gotten all crazy and stretched and ripped and stuff. And there is no way I would've been able to stitch letters onto them.

Here they are with their ruffles and me trying to decide which letters to use:


I like the top two a lot but they were just going to be too hard to cut out of fabric and then stitch around the edges. They are cool fonts, but not good at all for sewing I'd say.

I tried to use Heat 'n Bond for the letters, but it didn't want to stick to the burlap very well, so I ended up just using permanent fabric glue and then the stitching. Hopefully they won't fray like crazy but I'm kind of worried they are going to.

Here are the letters glued on but not yet stitched:

They look so cute!

Here they are with the stitching.

Michael's M turned out a lot better than my A... I did mine first, so I guess I was just more warmed up for Michael's or something... oh well. You can hardly even tell that the stitching is there because of the polka dots.


I kind of love them.


2 comments:

  1. saw this on tatertots & jello - i am loving anything burlap lately, so it caught my eye. i think they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.My.Goodness. These are a-freakin'-dorable.

    Thank you for sending me this link!!! I was thinking of doing a third burlap stocking (one day) for my pup and I just might have to copy the ruffle around the top.

    P.S. Thank you for visiting and for leaving sweet comments on my blog. :)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete