Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Fabric covered cork board and buttons/thumbtacks

I have had this corkboard laying around for over a year now (we brought it down here when we moved in last April and it's never been used), and I figured it would give me a good chance to make those fabric covered thumb tacks. So I did it!

I didn't really use a tutorial when I covered the cork board. I figured I'd just kind of make it up as I went along, which didn't turn out to be a very good idea.

But this one is pretty close to how I did mine if you want to check it out.

I didn't have any spray adhesive or anything like that to spray onto the cork board before I started, so I just used a hot glue gun to put glue around the sides of the board and then pressed the fabric as tightly as I could to the edges of the board. I suppose it looks alright, but if it gets a tear in it anywhere, it's basically done for since it isn't attached to the board anywhere but the sides. The fabric will just keep ripping and unraveling and I will be sad. But... cork boards are pretty cheap, and if I can actually find some use for this one, I'll probably just go buy a new one and try again. And do it right this time.

So anyways, here are some pictures of the process. I have pictures of the tacks also.

I wanted to make more of them but I ran out of buttons.

Pictures:





Gluing and pressing the fabric as tight as I can get it.


All glued. I cut off as much extra fabric as I could, but didn't take a picture of what it looked like after I did that. It wasn't pretty.

Making the tacks.


Making these was seriously somewhat addicting. They look so cute and it could not have been any easier.




I love them :)

I did run into a problem when it came time to glue the tacks onto the back. I should have pulled those metal loops off the back of the buttons before I covered them with fabric... but I wasn't thinking, and I just didn't do it. I tried to pull one off after I had the buttons finished, but it just wasn't happening. So I bent them down with pliers as best as I could, and then just glued the tacks off to the side. It worked out fine, but next time I'll take them off first.

You would definitely have to have them completely off if you wanted to make magnets though I think.

I found a big pack of magnets at Michaels for $2 so maybe if I can find some more buttons to cover I'll make magnets one of these days.



I put ribbon around the edges to cover up the rough edges of the fabric that stuck out. It looks alright. I tried to find cute ribbon, but I also didn't really want to spend any money, so I just bought this blue stuff for 56 cents. It works.

So that's it!

I love the tacks, but the cork board isn't my favorite. It's definitely better than it was before though, so I'm happy.

P.S. I bought this Wallpaper book at Borders this weekend for $4 and I kind of love it. I want more cheap books.



2 comments:

  1. Im confused by the tacks. What did you have to buy to make them? They are sooo cute...I want to make them but I guess I dont understand how!? Thanks for doing a craft, It makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you did a fine job of explaining! I just had no sense or idea of these button to cover things. I am going to buy some tomorrow! I cant wait!

    ReplyDelete